Elderly Are more Prone to Hemorrhoids
Statistics have shown that the prevalence of hemorrhoids increases as the person gets older. In the recent count almost 50% of people with hemorrhoids are also over the age of 50. It is usually associated to the changes that the body go through as we age.
As we get older, vulnerable anal sphincter muscles, in conjunction with other aging problems causes it to be possible to acquire hemorrhoids without them having to exert any strenuous effort.
Although there are many factors that can contribute for the elderly to develop this condition, it is said that there are only two factors which could greatly irritate hemorrhoids: persistent constipation and unrestrainable messing.
Chronic Constipation is a Very Common Problem for the Elderly
For many, that is caused by eating foods that are easy to chew and swallow. The bad news is that these kinds of food have very little fibers or roughage - as a result, the stool becomes very hard, dry, and difficult to pass.
Because the elderly usually have a difficulty in passing stool, several resort to using stimulant laxatives to be able to help with the bowel movement. Prolonged using laxatives is actually not helpful in the long run. People may become dependent and cannot pass stool without needing all of them.
The opposite of chronic constipation, some elderly have anal sphincter muscles that are so weak that they cannot control bowel movements. As a result of this, they suffer from incontinence and uncontrollable leaking of waste from the anus. In addition to causing chafed epidermis and ulcers, constant soiling can bother the hemorrhoidal veins in the rear end and anal channel, and therefore lead to hemorrhoids.
Helping the Elderly to Treat Hemorrhoids
You might be looking after an aging adults suffering from hemorrhoids, below are a few tips in taking care of them despite the fact that not to aggravate their condition.
- First thing that you have to do is to tell them to avoid using laxatives.
- As we have mentioned earlier, laxatives can do more harm than good in the long run.
- Instead, encourage them to consume foods which have laxative attributes such as prunes, prune juice, figs, and dried fruits.
- If there is really a need to use a laxative, choose those fiber based stool softener to bulk up the stools and make it easier to move.
Hemorrhoids Natural Cures - Herbal Hemorrhoids Cure When veins in your anus and rectum become irritated and inflamed you are suffering from hemorrhoids. This is often a very discomforting condition and can be painful if it gets even worse. But before you rush to the nearest drug store and buy any...
To guarantee the easy passage of stool, it is possible to lubricate the rectal canal with petroleum jelly before a bowel movement.
May Also be Helpful to Put Them on a Warm Sitz Bath or Cold Compress
Allow them to lay on warm water in order to ease the pressure in the lower anus then alternately apply cold compress on the afflicted area. This can be done a few minutes in a day to provide temporary relief from hemorrhoids.
- Modification in their diet is also necessary.
- Let them eat more fiber-rich foods.
Internal Piles (Hemorrhoids) Internal Hemorrhoids Symptoms Treatments Causes
http://hemorrhoidsblog.com-bb.com Internal Piles (Hemorrhoids) Internal hemorrhoids Symptoms Treatments Causes Internal piles are hemorrhoids that can be ...
- Despite of popular belief, there are plenty of fiber-rich foods that are not crunchy or difficult to chew.
- For example, oatmeal, barley, peas, steamed vegetables and also stewed fruits are rich in soluble fibers.
- Along with that, allow them to drink plenty of liquids also.
- It is also helpful to let them drink water with food, instead of between meals, as this can help soften the fiber and make it easier to pass.
The Aging Adults Usually Feel Helpless When They are Stricken With Any Kind of Condition
Hemorrhoids leave a patient with an unpleasant feeling, so it is the responsibility of the younger generation in order to spare all of them from the discomforts of this condition by guiding these in suggestions to prevent the occurrence of hemorrhoids.
At http://best-treatment-for-hemorrhoids.com you find more information, tips, the best treatment for hemorrhoids and a lively, growing community to support your efforts to get rid of the most difficult cases of hemorrhoids.
Jennifer T. Rader
Jennifer is a writer at utiurine.info, a resource on health tips. Last year, Jennifer worked as a blog curator at a high tech company. When she's not reading web content, Jennifer loves working out and fishing.